Breaded Whiting Katsu Curry
4 Donegal Catch Breaded Whiting Fillets
For the katsu curry sauce:
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 teaspoon cornflour
500 ml chicken stock
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
Thinly sliced cucumber
- Pre-heat oven. Place fillets on a pre-heated baking tray on top shelf oven. 200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas 6 18-22 mins or Deep Fry by pre-heating the oil. Lower fillets gently into the oil and fry. 175°C 8-10 mins.
- Whilst the Whiting is cooking, make the katsu curry sauce, heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry until completely softened and translucent, which should take about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for a further 1–2 minutes then sprinkle in the curry powder, turmeric and cornflour and add the tomato purée.
- Stir to coat the vegetables then pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes and then add the mirin and soy sauce. Cook for a further 5 minutes and then blitz until smooth with a stick blender.
- When the fish is cooked, slice it up and serve on top of some cooked rice, with the katsu curry sauce and a few pickles then sprinkle over some coriander to finish.