Haddock Fish Cakes with Lemon Mayonnaise
340 grams Donegal Catch Natural Haddock Fillets
2 bay leaves
150 ml milk
150 ml water
350 grams floury potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces
½ teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
Small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon snipped chives
100 grams fresh breadcrumbs
flour, for shaping
vegetable or sunflower oil, for shallow frying
lemon wedges and watercress, to serve
For the lemon mayonnaise
100 grams mayonnaise
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper
Butterhead lettuce leaves
- Make the lemon mayonnaise by mixing together the mayonnaise, lemon zest and a good pinch of salt and pepper then set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Place the haddock fillets and the 2 bay leaves into a deep frying pan. Pour over the milk and water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 8 mins then lift the fish out of the milk and set aside to cool.
- Whilst the fish is cooling, put the potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Season the water with salt and bring to the boil then cook for 10 - 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Drain the potatoes in a colander and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Tip the potatoes back into the saucepan and mash to form a dry and fluffy mash. Add the lemon zest, capers, parsley and chives and season well with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Drain off any liquid that has escaped from the fish, then flake it into big chunks into the mashed potatoes.
- Gently mix the fish and potatoes together so they just combine - you don’t want to break the fish down too much then put it to one side to cool.
- Whilst the mixture is cooling, beat the egg in a small bowl and place the breadcrumbs into a separate small bowl.
- When cool, divide the fishcake mixture into 8 and with floured hands gently shape the mixture into round cakes.
- One by one, sit each cake in the egg, followed by the crumbs, until each fishcake is lightly covered all over, on both sides, with crumbs. As they are done, place them onto a plate and when all the fish cakes are done, place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, heat a good glug of oil in a large frying pan and fry the fish cakes in batches over a medium heat for about 5 mins on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Serve to the table with the lemon mayonnaise, some lemon wedges and salad leaves.