Breaded Chunky Hake with creamy mash, wilted spinach and hollandaise
Enjoy our new Irish caught Breaded Chunky Hake with some creamy mash, wilted spinach and homemade hollandaise sauce.
2 fillets Donegal Catch Breaded Chunky Hake
500 grams floury potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
100 grams unsalted butter
75 ml whole milk
75 ml double cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Few rasps nutmeg
For the hollandaise
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
115 grams unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 180 C fan.
- Place a large saucepan of cold, salted water over a high heat. Add the potatoes and bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes until completely tender. Drain and set aside to steam for 5 minutes then, using a potato ricer, rice the potatoes into a clean bowl. Set aside with a lid on to keep warm.
- Place the Donegal Catch Breaded Chunky Hake Fillets onto a tray and place into the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- For the hollandaise, place the egg yolk, water and lemon juice, along with a pinch of salt, into the jug of a hand blender - the jug must fight snugly around the head of the hand blender or this won’t work.
- Heat the butter over a high heat until hot and completely melted and any foaming has subsided. Turn the hand blender on, and with it running, slowly pour the hot butter into the jug - it should emulsify the egg yolk and butter almost immediately. Keep the hand blender running until you have a thickened, creamy sauce - this should take about 2 minutes of blending.
- Once the sauce is made, season to taste with more salt / lemon and set aside in a bowl of warm water to keep warm and prevent it from splitting.
- Place 90 grams of the butter, the milk and double cream into a large saucepan and allow everything to melt together. Add the potatoes into the pan and stir to combine everything. Season well with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Place the remaining 10 grams of butter into a frying pan and, once melted, add the spinach. Allow to wilt for a couple of minutes then season with a few rasps of nutmeg.
- Serve the fish, mash, spinach and hollandaise together.