Cider Battered Haddock with Pea and lemon Orzotto
4 Donegal Catch Cider Battered Haddock Fillets
50 grams butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, finely diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, grated
100 ml cider
250 grams orzo
750 ml chicken stock
200 grams Green Isle Garden Peas
Handful of fresh or frozen spinach
zest of ½ lemon
75 grams parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- Pre-heat oven. Place fillets on a pre-heated baking tray on top shelf of oven. 210°C, Fan 190°C, Gas 6 20-25 mins
- Place a large heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Heat gently until the butter has melted then add the shallot along with a pinch of salt and fry for 10 minutes, until completely softened.
- Add the garlic and continue to fry for a further 3 mins.
- Increase the heat and add the cider, cooking for 3 - 4 minutes until reduced by half then stir in the orzo. Fry for 2 mins, stirring constantly to combine everything, then pour in half of the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add more stock in increments, stirring constantly, as the orzo absorbs the liquid.
- Cook for 10 minutes, adding more stock until it is nearly all used up, or until the orzo is nearly cooked through, then add the frozen peas and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, lemon zest and parmesan and cook for 2 minutes then serve with extra parmesan and a Cider Battered Haddock Fillet.