Breaded Cod with poached eggs, hollandaise and wilted spinach
2 Donegal Catch Breaded Cod Fillets
For the hollandaise:
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
6 black peppercorns
3 egg yolks
200 grams unsalted butter, melted but still warm
Handful of chopped dill
For the spinach:
1 tablespoon of butter
100 grams baby spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grating of nutmeg
4 slices of brown soda bread, lightly toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC Fan 180ºC Gas 6 . Place fillets on a pre-heated baking tray on top shelf of oven and cook for around 20-25 mins, ensuring the fillets are piping hot before serving.
- For the hollandaise, place the water, vinegar, onion and peppercorns in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook for a minute and then pour through a sieve, discarding the solids. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place the egg yolks and 1½ tablespoons of the cooled vinegar reduction in a blender and blend on high speed for 2–3 minutes or until very pale in colour. With the motor still running, add the butter in a thin stream, adding it in very slowly to form an emulsion. Blend for 1 minute or until the sauce has thickened then stir through the dill and season with salt and pepper. Place into a small bowl and cover with cling film then place the small bowl into a larger vessel filled with warm water to keep the sauce warm.
- For the spinach, place the butter into a large frying pan or wok and allow to melt. Add the spinach and wilt for a minute then remove from the heat and grate over a small amount of fresh nutmeg. Stir to combine and season with black pepper
- To poach your eggs, crack and egg into a small bowl. Bring a deep saucepan of water to a very gentle simmer and add 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool and slowly tip the egg into the centre. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes and when cooked to your liking, lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it briefly on kitchen paper. Repeat the process with the second egg, keeping your first egg warm by placing it in a bowl of warm water.
- To serve, place 2 slices of brown bread on each plate and divide the spinach between the plates. Top with the cooked fish and an egg and finally some of the hollandaise.