Chinese inspired lemon Battered Cod
4 Donegal Catch Battered Cod Fillets
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons groundnut oil
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
150 ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine (or use dry sherry if you don’t have Shaoxing)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cornflour dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame seeds to garnish
Pak choi, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
Sesame seeds, to garnish
Lemon slices, to serve, optional
- Pre-heat oven 200ºC Fan 180ºC Gas 6. Place fillets on a pre-heated baking tray on top shelf of oven and cook for 20-25 mins, ensuring it's cooked through and served hot.
- Whilst the fish is cooking, make the sauce by placing 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan or wok and adding the grated garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant then add the stock, soy sauce, shaoxing wine and honey and bring everything to a boil.
- Drizzle in the cornflour and water mixture and whisk the sauce until thickened then remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Taste and add more honey/soy soy as necessary (you may need more honey if your lemon was particularly tart!) and set aside.
- When the fish is nearly cooked add the remaining tablespoon of oil to a separate wok or frying pan and set over a high heat. Add the pak choi stalks and the garlic cloves and stir fry for 1 minute then add the pak choi leaves and cook for a further minute.
- Serve the fish fillets with the stir-fried pak choi and some rice then drizzle over the sauce and finally sprinkle with some sesame seeds to garnish.