Fish and pickled onion ‘Hot Dogs’
We are reinventing the classic hot dog with our Cider Battered Irish caught Haddock, delicious served in brioche buns with homemade pickled red onions, capers, mayonnaise, lettuce and dill. An easy recipe, packed full of flavour and ready in less than 30 minutes.Haddock has a sweeter and fuller flavour than other white fish. We are committed to supporting responsible fishing practices and are currently working within a Fishery Improvement Project (FIP) for Irish caught haddock.Armagh Cider Company makes award winning cider from blossom to bottle’ on their own farm in Co Armagh, the orchard county of Ireland.
2 Donegal Catch Craft Cider Battered Haddock
4 brioche hot dog buns, sliced in half down the middle
1 tablespoon capers
½ butterhead lettuce
For the pickled red onions:
1 red onion
Juice ½ a lemon
- Pre-heat oven. Place fillets on a pre-heated baking tray on top shelf of oven. 210°C, Fan 190°C, Gas 6 20-25 mins
- Whilst the fish is cooking, thinly slice the red onion using a mandoline, or a sharp knife if you don’t own a mandoline. Place into a bowl and squeeze over the lemon juice and add a good pinch of salt. Mix everything together well with your hands, massaging the lemon juice into the red onion - don’t do this if you have any cuts on your hands or it may sting!
- Set the red onion aside for 10 minutes to quickly pickle.
- Once the fish is cooked, slice each fillet in half lengthways
- To build the fish dogs, spread some mayonnaise on the brioche buns and add a few lettuce leaves. Add the fish and then divide the capers between the buns. Divide the red onions between the fish dogs and add a few fronds of dill to finish.