Haddock & leek gratin
200 grams Green Isle Frozen Spinach
2 leeks, thickly sliced
200 ml full-fat milk, plus 3 tablespoons
15 grams unsalted butter, plus 50 grams
15 grams plain flour
½ tsp English mustard
75 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated
2 x Donegal Catch Natural Haddock Fillets
350 grams potatoes, peeled and chopped
75 ml cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 200 C / 180 C fan.
- Place the frozen spinach in a sieve and pour a kettle of boiling water over it to defrost - if it doesn’t all defrost pour a second kettle over the top. Leave to cool then squeeze out as much excess water from the spinach as you can. Set aside.
- Put the leeks into a saucepan with the 200 ml milk and the butter. Cook gently for 8 - 10 minutes until the leeks are tender and then mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk with the flour and mustard, and stir into the leek mixture. Keep stirring until thickened then remove from the heat and stir in three-quarters of the cheese.
- Arrange the spinach on the base of 2 gratin dishes and place a fish fillet on top of each, then divide the leek & cheese sauce between the dishes and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place the dishes on a baking tray and cook for 25 mins until the fish is cooked through and the top is golden.
- Whilst the fish cooks, boil the potatoes for 15 - 20 mins until completely tender then drain. Leave to steam for 5 minutes then rice with a potato ricer or mash. Stir in the remaining 50 grams butter and the double cream and season well. Serve with the gratin and some chopped parsley to garnish.