Mexican Fish Torta with Pale Ale Battered Haddock
Traditionally served on a soft, warm telera bread, a Mexican Fish Torta is a delicious sandwich prepared with crispy breaded fish, guacamole, salad and numerous seasonings and sauces. It is a well-liked street snack in Mexico. Here we have used ciabatta bread, red cabbage and lots of fresh herbs, salad and chipotle mayonnaise. This sandwich is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
2 fillets Donegal Catch Pale Ale Battered Haddock
For the red cabbage
¼ head red cabbage
Juice of ½ a lemon
Salt and pepper
For the guacamole
2 spring onions
Juice of 2 limes
Handful of coriander leaves
Salt and pepper
For the chipotle mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chipotle paste
100 grams mayonnaise
Juice of ½ a lime
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Handful tortilla chips
Freshly picked coriander leaves
2 small ciabatta loaves
- Pre heat oven to 200C / 180 C fan.
- Place the Donegal Catch Pale Ale Battered Haddock onto a baking tray and place into the oven for 20 minutes until cooked through and piping hot throughout.
- Whilst the fish cooks, blitz all the ingredients for the guacamole together in a small food processor until completely smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
- For the cabbage, slice the red cabbage as thin as possible - a mandoline makes light work of this - just watch your fingers! - or just use a knife. Place the sliced cabbage into a bowl and add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Massage everything together with your hands - you will see the cabbage change colour to a bright pink almost immediately - then set aside.
- Mix together the chipotle paste, mayonnaise, lime juice and a pinch of salt in a bowl and set aside.
- When ready to assemble, toast your ciabatta rolls and spread the bottom with some of the guacamole. Top with some red cabbage and sliced tomatoes then place a cooked fish fillet on top. Drizzle over the chipotle mayonnaise and crush over some tortillas then top with a few coriander leaves.